Sunday, June 14, 2009

Summer storms

I didn't expect to have anything to report this soon, but we had a hailstorm Friday that warrants a post. I'd gone into town with the Explorer (thank goodness!!!) when a really bad storm blew through. I was in Target when it went through Fort Smith and I guess I was on the outer edge of it because I could hear the rain (and probably some hail) inside the store but had no signs of hail on the Explorer. But when I left, there were obvious signs of high winds south of where I'd been--lots of big trees and limbs down and even one trampoline blown over and into a chain link fence.

I said "thank goodness" I was in town because "the rock" where the motorhome is parked sustained hail as big as a baseball! Roger swears these aren't the biggest that fell, just the biggest that he could grab off the step without getting pelted:


The Blazer got a few big dents and before the rain stopped, water was dripping onto the J-lounge from around the light under the overhead cabinet. Since I was gone, Roger had the job of emptying the cabinet, mopping up the water inside the cabinet and--naturally--going on the roof to inspect the damage! (Of course, the roof would have been his job anyway, but the inside would have been my responsibility had I been here.)

There were several signs of damage on the roof--one LARGE hole and one smaller hole on the roof itself plus a few holes in the air conditioner covers. He immediately made a trip to Outdoor Living Center for some good roof sealer and climbed back on the roof to repair the damage--it must be fixed because we had another tremendous rainstorm last night and see no sign of leaks.

Other than that, it's been a pretty uneventful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to let us hear from you!

Please let us know if you prefer NOT to have your comments published to this blog. Otherwise, when we receive the comment via e-mail it will be added to the day's entry.