Tuesday, July 7, 2009

July 4th Celebration & More

We've been BUSY since I posted a few days ago! Friday Tracey, the boys and I went to visit the Philmont Boy Scout Camp. Matthew's Scout troop will be going there next year for a 63-mile, 10-day trek into the mountains, so he was excited to see the base camp and tour the Villa for some interesting history of the area and the camp.

Saturday we went downtown here in Eagle Nest for the Fireman's Bar-B-Q and to watch the 4th of July parade. The food was good and the parade was really cute—and interesting to say the least! Anyone who wanted to be in the parade was invited to just line up in a certain place and participate, so there was everything from dogs dressed in red, white and blue to a canoe and other boats decorated and carrying passengers in costume. The Color Guard consisted of one (hmmm...how should I say this?) “older” lady in a military uniform carrying Old Glory and about half a dozen younger people carrying the other flags.
The only band in the parade was riding on a trailer instead of marching on the street.
Here are a few more pics of the Eagle Nest Parade:

That evening we all gathered with our chairs to watch the fireworks over Eagle Nest Lake, which were pretty spectacular but our pics didn't turn out too good. I suppose we should have checked the settings on the camera before we were ready to start shooting! But, just for grins, here's one of the better ones:

Sunday Bobby & Melba and all of us drove the 84-mile Enchanted Circle from Eagle Nest through Red River, Questa, Taos, and back. We all had lunch at Michael's Kitchen in Taos then Tracey and the boys visited Taos Pueblo while Roger, Bobby, Melba and I went to a Craft Fair at the park. We'd actually detoured to Cerro from Questa in hopes of having lunch at a little local Mexican cafe that we'd found last year, but when we got there we sadly found that it had closed.

Monday Roger and Mike took a motorcycle ride and I went with Tracey and the boys to Bobcat Pass for them to go on a horseback ride:



After they returned from riding horses, we went to Red River and rode the ski lift to the top of the mountain overlooking the town of Red River.
And if you want the story of our trip back down, you'll have to ask someone else because it's not a story I'm willing to share.

Tracey & the boys are leaving early tomorrow, so it's been a packing day today and tonight we're all going with a big group from the park to a Chuckwagon dinner and show. I'll try to get another update done soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to let us hear from you!

Please let us know if you prefer NOT to have your comments published to this blog. Otherwise, when we receive the comment via e-mail it will be added to the day's entry.