Saturday, July 25, 2009

In and Around Eagle Nest

Good grief! Has it really been two weeks since I posted last? My, how time flies when you're having fun!

Since I told you we were going to a car show in Springer, I guess that's where I should start. It wasn't a very big show, just a small area of the parking lot at at truck stop, but there were quite a few interesting cars to see:

Monday (July 13) we (Roger & I, Bobby & Melba, and Bob & Linda) went to Espanola, about 35 miles south of Taos, to the nearest WalMart Supercenter and to go to a different casino. I was in search of scrapbooking materials for a Folded Scrapbook Album workshop that I'm supposed to teach here at the park in few days, but found NOTHING! I guess people here aren't into scrapbooking, so Tracey's having to send me some supplies from Hobby Lobby in Fort Smith.

Anyway, we had a fun day—the highway runs along the Rio Grande and we saw at least 40-50 rafts and inflatable kayaks floating the river on the way. Those people looked like they were having a blast!

Wednesday evening (July 15) we had a park cookout and music—the wind came up so strong about the time we were having our burgers that we had to go into the activity for the music. Bobby was drafted to cook, but Mike and Melba provided great supervision and the rest of the crowd enjoyed the burgers as well as all the other great dishes provided by the campers.
Apparently our cooking had a great aroma, though, because early Thursday morning a bear was sighted inside the park! Roger was one of the few who saw it leaving the park property and wandering off through the field next door. It was spotted again a couple of mornings later as well. Since Tracey and the boys had slept in tents not 50 feet from where he crossed the fence, I'm REALLY glad he didn't show up while they were here! Bear signs have been seen several time since then (including a break-in at the Econo Lodge down the street and paw prints on some motorhomes here in the park). This morning one was trapped at the EconoLodge, but we're not sure how many there may be—time will tell, I guess.

Last week we had another pot luck at the park, a Poker Walk to town to get chips for prizes after we returned to the park, and various other activities, including going into the woods to cut firewood. Melba, Marti & I were the carriers while Mike, Roger and Bobby did the cutting.
Mike, Roger and Bobby took a couple of motorcycle rides--don't they look cool?
Our friends Linda and Bob left to go home to Oklahoma and Bobby and Melba moved to a spot outside Red River where their kids and grandkids who are arriving today can ride their four-wheelers directly from camp. Another couple that we've camped with several times, Joe and Barbara, arrived, Mike's still here and we've become friends with several couples in the park, so we won't be lonely.

I'm heading out now to check out the Arts & Crafts Festival here in Eagle Nest this morning, then to Taos for groceries (and a trip to the casino!).

There's a lot more I need to post from the past couple of weeks and I'll try to update again soon, but don't be surprised if the time gets away from me again—time flies when you're having fun, ya know!

1 comment:

Thanks for taking time to let us hear from you!

Please let us know if you prefer NOT to have your comments published to this blog. Otherwise, when we receive the comment via e-mail it will be added to the day's entry.