Friday, January 15, 2010

Not a good start to new year

This will be short and simple since I'm working one-handed these days (more on that later) but wanted to check in with an update. We left our pad December 28 in freezing cold weather. Spent 1st night at Shadow Mtn. RV Park, less than 100 miles away and just south of Mena, AR.

Next 2 nights we were at Diamond Jack's RV Park in Bossier City, LA--had coupon for 2 FREE nights plus some meal discounts so it was a pretty good deal. Visited some camping friends, Linda & Billy, who have had to give up traveling due to health problems--it was great to see them again!

Arrived at my brother's in New Iberia, LA, New Year's Eve and finally had ONE 60-degree day. Enjoyed our visit but not the near-record low temps--highs only in the 30's with a few mornings in the teens! YUCK!!!!

We left there January 9 and drove to Galveston State Park. Sad to see how Hurricane Ike changed what was once one of our favorite places--it's been cleared of all debris, but all the buildings and many of the campsites and dunes are simply GONE.

Since the office was closed when we arrived, we drove back to pay Sunday morning. As I started up the wooden steps to the office I tripped over my own big feet and fell forward, landing on the back of my right wrist! It hurt but had no visible signs of serious injury so we proceeded on to our "home" for the next month, Enchanted Oaks RV Park in Rockport, TX.

By Monday everyone had me convinced to have my wrist checked so (after a lengthy call to our insurance company) Roger took me to an urgent care clinic in Corpus Christi. X-rays showed a broken bone so they put me in a heavy plaster-and-elastic-bandage splint from fingers to above my elbow and referred me to an orthopedic doctor for further evaluation and treatment.

At my ortho appointment Wednesday I was thrilled that my arm wasn't going to require surgery or even a cast--well, if I'm real careful and the bone hasn't moved when I go back next week, I can keep the little wrist splint that's removable for showers but must be worn all other times. I promised to be good and let Roger do all the dishes and lifting. Doc said it should heal in about 6 weeks--sure hope he's right because it's no fun being limited in what I can do!

Will try to get some pics posted next time, so check back in a few days.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your wrist, but you shouldn't hit Roger so hard the next time. I see a lot of McDonnalds in your near future.

    Be safe.....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to let us hear from you!

Please let us know if you prefer NOT to have your comments published to this blog. Otherwise, when we receive the comment via e-mail it will be added to the day's entry.